RS Energy, LLC
Ok, I can’t let the article from the New York Times go by without commenting about it. (The article appeared in print on December 4, 2011, on page RE1 of the New York edition with the headline: ‘Zero-Energy’ Construction Crosses the Ocean. by Alison Gregor) First and foremost, Passive Homes can be net zero homes but that is not what these homes are about. We are trying to use as little resources as possible once the home is completed. Even with our solar panels on we won’t be totally a net zero home. We will be close to net zero but we will still use electricity. Our water comes from the city that uses electricity to bring it to our home and so on. We can do the best to use little electricity but there are very few homes that can be a true net zero. Secondly, to say that PH doesn’t use carbon day to day is nonsense. Even here in Oregon State we receive 60% of electricity from renewable energy – hydroelectric and wind. The other 40% comes from coal! On the east coast the electricity comes from nuclear or from coal. The electricity has to come from somewhere and it produces a carbon footprint. Thirdly, is that we were able to find all of the product made here in the US and didn’t have to use fossil fuel to bring them overseas. We researched our home for three years and our PH designer also did a lot of research. It can be done, but you must do the leg/ computer work to make it happen. Ted Nickell our designer, I think had a lot of fun figuring things out. So ask questions and we will try to answer them or send you to a good resource.
Rant and Rave - Solar power is something that much of our world should be using! Could you imagine if Arizona put fields of the solar panels up, like fields of wheat? Or Greece could eliminate their countries money plight, by producing solar energy for the rest of Europe? Africa could run wells and heat stoves so women and girls wouldn’t have to hunt for water or wood for fires to be raped and even killed. So on and so fourth…you get the idea! Now, we need everyone to work together to find a way to store this energy! I have said it before and I will say it again…come on you bright people, create a way to store solar, wind and hydroelectric power!!!!!!! Stop relying on an 1800’s way to send electricity…it is antiquated!